Friday, April 3, 2015

Make a photo brighter or darker with Exposure Compensation

Exposure Compensation is one of the most powerful tools for taking better photos.
I was in Bishop, CA at the famous Erick Schat's Bakkery. I was eating outside the building and wanted to take a photo of the place. There was significant backlight which was turning the sign and the building too dark.
Regular photo
How can you fix this issue with Trial and Error Photography?
It is simple. The issue was that the things I wanted in the photo were too dark. Solution is simple. I needed to tell camera to take in more light. Thankfully my Samsung Note 4 provides Exposure Compensation. I turned it on and moved it to +1. By changing this control, I simply told my camera to take in double light.


As you can see, the sky is getting washed out but sky wasn't my interest, I need the sign to be clearly visible. I was happy with the photo. However I had time so I tried to take one more photo with different value for Exposure Compensation. This way, having tried 2-3 different exposure values, I was able to get a photo that I liked.


Btw, if you happen to be in or around Bishop and Mammoth Lakes area, try this Erick Schat's Bakkery place. It is busy and offers nice collection of sugar and fat. However if you see this same name, Erick Shat's bakkery in Mammoth Lake, avoid it. Looks like they don't have anything fresh. They seem to get stuff from Bishop bakkery and sell. We had 2 8-year old kids. They loved the Erik Schat's in Bishop but they didn't even finish one donut that we got from Erick Schat's in Mammoth lakes are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment